* Verified by a US-based board-certified doctor. Overthinking can be debilitating to those who can't seem to get out of their own heads. If this resonates with you, here is a simple guide to help you relax. Overthinking is something we all do at one time or another. Still, many people find that constant overthinking plagues their lives. Overthinking has been linked to mental issues such as depression and anxiety. It can cause a decline in mental health, and when that happens, you're even more likely to overthink. It's a vicious cycle! When you overthink, you can find yourself having trou...Keep Reading
Nutraceutical Products and Uses – Prenatal Vitamins
* Verified by a US-based board-certified doctor.
Prenatal vitamins, a type of nutraceuticals, are recommended to pregnant women because they are an important part of pregnancy nutrition. They provide several benefits to both pregnant women and the baby they are carrying. When pregnant, a woman’s body has increased nutritional demands. In particular, there may be specific minerals and vitamins that women need and are not getting enough of from a typical diet.
Prenatal vitamins are available in two major forms: chewables and liquids. Standard prenatal vitamins often are comprised of iron, phosphorus, Vitamin C, calcium, folic acid and other types of nutrients that a baby and his or her mother might require.
Benefits of Using Prenatal Vitamins
Helps to reduce the risk of the child developing neural tubes and spinal defects
Getting enough folic acid early in pregnancy and before conceiving can help reduce the child’s risk of neural tube defect development. Taking enough folic acid before and after the start of pregnancy reduces risk of defects like abnormal brain development and cleft spine. These defects are shown to appear 70% less frequently in babies that get enough folic acid in the womb.
Helps to reduce the chances of preeclampsia development
When pregnant women take sufficient amounts of folic acid early during pregnancy, the risk of developing preeclampsia is reduced. Preeclampsia is a condition that is usually characterized by excess protein in the urine, high blood pressure, and excess fluid retention. Preeclampsia is severe when blood pressure is high, which may lead to the necessity for emergency c-section.
Prevention of iron deficiency anemia
Pregnant women are known to need lots of iron. The body uses iron nutrients to help make hemoglobin for both the mother and the child. Iron also helps in improving the movement of oxygen from the child’s lungs to the rest of the mother’s body. By taking prenatal vitamins that consist of iron, you help in preventing iron deficiency anemia which is a condition marked by extreme fatigue.
Helps to reduce the risk of low birth weight, pre-term delivery, and infant mortality
Using prenatal vitamins helps a future mother to get enough iron when pregnant, as we discussed above. Using this vitamin frequently also helps to reduce the risk of low birth weight, premature birth, and infant mortality.
Reduces risk of developing rickets
Rickets is a condition that involves softened and weakened bones in children. It is a condition that is caused by a vitamin D deficiency. It can lead to deformities and bone fractures in young children. Taking vitamin D helps to promote phosphorus and calcium absorption. In the case you fail to get enough vitamin D during pregnancy, there is a chance your baby will born with vitamin D deficiency and risk suffering from abnormal bone growth, rickets or delayed development.
Prenatal vitamins also help in providing your child with enough calcium, and can put your mind at ease knowing you have met your child’s nutritional needs.
More Recent Articles
* Verified by a US-based board-certified doctor. Have you found yourself unable to concentrate, recall something important, or get motivated? You're probably suffering from what is commonly referred to as brain fog. So what exactly is brain fog, and what causes this condition? First and foremost, brain fog is not recognized as a medical condition. While it can be a symptom of an underlying medical issue, it's often the result of poor diet, lack of exercise, and insufficient sleep. Sudden and persistent brain fog can significantly affect our mood and stress levels, especially when it drags ...Keep Reading
* Verified by a US-based board-certified doctor. Mental acuity refers to being mentally sharp. If you’re mentally sharp, you have an excellent memory, and you find it easy to complete different tasks. A lack of mental acuity can be detrimental to your health. You may forget important things, lack the focus to perform specific tasks, and struggle to concentrate. As a result, you become a shell of your former self. Sadly, the mind gets weaker as we get older. Most people suffer a dip in mental acuity, which is why you need to focus on staying mentally sharp. What are the benefits of doing th...Keep Reading
* “Verified by a US-based board-certified doctor” Are you looking to improve your time management skills but aren’t quite sure how to do it? If you find you waste a lot of time procrastinating, you’re not alone. Eighty-eight percent of the American workforce admits to procrastinating for at least one hour per day. Additionally, studies show that we spend 80 percent of the workday on non-essential tasks and only 20 percent of our workday on essential tasks. Whether you feel like you’re wasting your time on non-essential tasks, or you feel like you don’t have enough time in the day to get...Keep Reading
* “Verified by a US-based board-certified doctor” Have you been feeling stressed out lately? Are you unsure what to do about it? If you’re feeling stressed out, you’re certainly not alone. Stress is a significant health problem in the US. One-third of Americans report that they’re living with extreme stress, and 48 percent say their stress levels have increased over the past five years. While there are many remedies you can try to alleviate stress, what many people don’t realize is that stress is linked to our vitamin consumption (or lack thereof). If you’re not getting enough vitamins in ...Keep Reading
* “Verified by a US-based board-certified doctor” People often joke about their 'bad memory,' but science shows us that our memory can be what we make of it. If we give attention to memorizing things using proven techniques, we can see dramatic improvements. How our memory works To memorize material faster, it helps to understand the internal process. So let's discuss how our memory works. After centuries of research and assumptions, science has narrowed the process of memorization down to three distinct stages: encoding, storage, and recall. Encoding: At this first stage of memory fo...Keep Reading