* Verified by a US-based board-certified doctor. Biohacking to gain a competitive edge academically isn't new. The use of nootropics is safe and effective for getting the best out of your study sessions. They can help you to be focused, clear thinking, motivated, creative, and maintain mental energy throughout. Let's look at the best nootropics for studying. Why Nootropics Studying is difficult and can be exhausting. In a world of smart drugs, it's all too easy to go the way of stimulants. Nootropics can have a similar effect without the risks of a crash. Nootropics are naturally deriv...Keep Reading
Bacopa Monnieri: What is it and What are its Benefits
Whether you’re a student trying to maximize your intellect, a professional trying to be more productive, or a mature adult trying to strengthen their brain against dementia, you may be interested in nootropics. Nootropics are substances, natural or synthetic, that boost cognitive functions. Their use has become mainstream in recent years, with more studies showing their efficacy in improving memory, learning, focus, creativity, and energy.
What is Bacopa Monnieri?
Bacopa Monnieri is an Ayurvedic herb used in India’s traditional medicine - the world’s oldest healing and medicinal practice. Some of this herb’s other names are andri, Brahmi, herpestis herb, Indian pennywort, herb of grace, and water hyssop. It was used to treat anxiety, memory issues, and even thyroid disorders.
This herb grows all over the world in tropical, wet environments. It can even thrive underwater, which makes it a popular aquarium plant.
How it Works
Bacopa Monnieri works by enhancing the communication between neurons. This facilitates improved brain function. It also works with neurotransmitters, dopamine and serotonin to improve mood and promote a feeling of well-being.
The Benefits of Bacopa Monnieri
Research reveals that the benefits of Bacopa Monnieri are broad and significant. If you are considering supplementing with it, here are some of the health benefits you may expect.
Boosts Brain Function
Many studies show Bacopa Monnieri improves memory and other cognitive functions. One review of several studies said that Bacopa has the potential to boost thinking and mental processes. Another study in 2016 took 60 college students and, after being given twice-daily doses (300 mg daily total) of Bacopa, had improved performance in tests.
Bacopa Monnieri contains powerful antioxidants. Antioxidants protect cells against free radicals, which are unstable molecules responsible for cellular damage leading to disease and aging. Antioxidants can protect our cells from much of this oxidative damage. Free radicals are linked to diabetes, heart disease, age-related neurodegenerative disorders, and some cancers.
The antioxidants in Bacopa Monnieri can neutralize the activity of many free radicals and protect your cells from damage.
Are you looking to take your game to the next level and improve your health while you do it? Our 12 active ingredients are designed to stimulate energy, creativity, motivation, and focus. Check out Magic Mind today!
Inflammation occurs naturally in the body for healing and for fighting disease. But when inflammation becomes chronic, it is linked to several chronic diseases, including heart and kidney disease, cancer, and diabetes. In certain studies, Bacopa Monnieri seemed to hinder the release of molecules, leading to an inflammatory immune response. It also inhibited enzymes that are linked to inflammation and pain.
Decreases Stress and Anxiety
Bacopa Monnieri is also an adaptogen, which means it aids the body in mitigating the damage of stress and makes your body more resistant to it. Some research suggests that it works by lifting mood and decreasing cortisol (the stress hormone). In two human studies, a dose of 300 mg per day significantly diminished anxiety and depression in adults. More than mental anguish, stress and anxiety causes changes in the body and deteriorates the immune, endocrine, and neurological systems. Adaptogens have stimulants that neutralize the harm.
Minimizes ADHD Symptoms
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a neurological disorder evidenced by inattention, impulsivity, and hyperactivity. These symptoms can make life challenging for those with the disorder. While there are pharmaceuticals that decrease the impact of these negative symptoms, many people prefer a more natural approach.
Bacopa Monnieri is reported to be a real help. In a study of 31 school-aged children taking 225 mg of Bacopa every day for six months, there was a significant decrease in ADHD symptoms. Some of these symptoms were restlessness, inattention, and poor self-control.
Yet another study took 120 children with ADHD and gave them a blend of herbs containing 125 mg of Bacopa. The results were considerable and positive for the control group compared to the placebo group.
Lowers Blood Pressure
High blood pressure is a serious condition as it puts stress on the heart and blood vessels, causing a weakened cardiovascular system and possibly heart disease. There is some evidence to show that Bacopa may help to lower blood pressure. In animal studies, it reduced the diastolic and systolic blood pressure levels by releasing nitric oxide, which aids in blood vessel dilation. Bacopa Monnieri did not affect normal blood pressure levels.
In test-tube and animal studies, Bacopa Monnieri is found to kill aggressive brain cancer cells and hinder the growth of colon and breast cancer cells. These results may be due to the high levels of antioxidants and other substances in the Bacopa, like bacosides, that fight cancer cells. More studies are needed.
Bacopa Monnieri is fat-soluble, so it should be taken with food to be better absorbed. The standard dose is 300 mg (assuming 55% of the extract by weight), but if taken in powder or leaf form, take 750 - 1,500 mg per day.
Possible Side Effects
If you take Bacopa Monnieri on an empty stomach, it could cause nausea, bloating, and diarrhea.
Bacopa may interact with some medications, like pain reliever, amitriptyline. So check with your doctor if you’re on any medications.
Besides that, Bacopa is considered safe to use - though its effects on pregnant and breastfeeding women are unknown.
The Last Word
Bacopa Monnieri may have many health benefits in addition to potential boosts to cognitive function. More research is being done, and the results are promising.
Do you want to get more done with less stress? We’re the world’s first productivity drink. Check out Magic Mind today.
More Recent Articles
* Verified by a US-based board-certified doctor. If you’ve been looking into ways to help boost your brain health and overall cognitive performance, then you’ve probably at least heard about nootropics and the various benefits that they can provide. But it’s entirely possible that you don’t know much about them or how they work within your body, especially since so many types perform a wide range of different functions. Please continue reading to discover more about nootropic benefits and which ones may be best for you. What is a Nootropic? A nootropic is, to put it simply, a substance that...Keep Reading
* Verified by a US-based board-certified doctor. You've probably heard people talking about nootropics and smart drugs like they're necessarily the same thing. They're close in application but not precisely the same in composition. We'll discuss the differences between the two and consider the pros and cons of each. Why the Drive for a Better Brain? As kids, most of us wanted the ability to fly. No more buses to school or long drives on vacation - we could just fly wherever we wanted to go. Now, as adults, we'd much rather have a super-brain. What is this drives we have for a better bra...Keep Reading
* Verified by a US-based board-certified doctor. What is Rhodiola Rosea? Rhodiola Rosea- otherwise known as golden root or arctic root- is a yellow-flowering herb native to colder, mountainous regions in Asia and Europe. People have used it for centuries to help treat fatigue, depression, and anxiety. Its roots possess adaptogenic nootropic properties and contain more than 140 active ingredients to help your body adapt to physical and emotional stress and to keep you calm. According to several scientific studies and systematic reviews, Rhodiola Rosea shows promising effects in helping to re...Keep Reading
* Verified by a US-based board-certified doctor. What is Taurine? Taurine is one type of essential amino acid present in various foods and is often added to energy drinks. Research has indicated that taurine can provide several health benefits, including lowering the risk of different diseases and improving the performance of athletes. Along with the fact that it has no known side effects when taken in appropriate doses, this has led several researchers to refer to it as a sort of “wonder molecule.” It’s also an effective nootropic in affecting various brain functions, including cell volume...Keep Reading
What is Acetylcholine, and Why is it Important? * Verified by a US-based board-certified doctor. Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter- the first one ever discovered- and neuromodulator. It plays a role in brain and muscle functions, and its job within the brain has made it a great topic of interest as a nootropic. It can be found in all motor neurons and is responsible for stimulating the contraction of muscles. It’s involved in various body movements, including the beating of the heart, the movement of the stomach, and the blinking of eyelids. Imbalances in and low levels of acetylcholine ...Keep Reading